Prof. Junie B. Billones, professor of chemistry, was conferred with a rank of UP Scientist 1 last 16 December 2014 in the Executive House, UP Diliman by the University of the Philippines System. The UP Scientist award is part of the UP Scientific Productivity System Award of the UP System, which was started last 2005. This awards aims to support the development of science and technology, and to encourage and reward scientific productivity. Prof. Billones is one of the leading chemistry researchers in UP Manila. He currently leads TB Drug Discovery Program in UP Manila, which is funded Emerging Interdisciplinay Research Program of the Office of Vice President of Academic Affairs.
Four Biochemistry graduates of the College of Arts and Sciences of the University of the Philippines Manila (UPM) were among the top ten passers with the highest scores in the recent Chemist Licensure Examination last 16-17 September 2014.
The top ten passers are:
- 5th place - Alvin J. Logronio
- 6th place - Adrian Paul S. Tan
- 9th place - Robinson Bryan C. Andres
- 10th place - John Thaddeus N. Campo
The following papers have been accepted for presentation at the 5th IEEE International Conference on Information, Intelligence, Systems and Applications this 7 - 9 July 2014, Chania, Crete, Greece.
- Lung Cancer Classification Using Optimized Prediction Models Applied to Gene Expression Data
Joey Mark Diaz, Raymond Christopher Pinon and Geoffrey A. Solano
- Cluster Center Genes as Candidate Biomarkers for the Classification of Leukemia
Jonnel L. Dela Rosa, Alvin Edwin A. Magpantay, Alex C. Gonzaga, Geoffrey A. Solano
- Building Phylogenetic Trees from Frequent Subgraph Mining Techniques on Reaction Hypergraphs
Editho Giray III, Geoffrey Solano, Ma. Constancia Carillo, Jhoirene Clemente and Henry Adorna