Systems biology integrates high throughput data acquisition to computational analysis. This has markedly increased our capacity to interrogate and understand biology as a complete system and not as isolated reactions and interactions. As a result, systems biology has brought about an unprecedented rate of knowledge acquisition in the life sciences. Networking has been a crucial component of systems biology at both the molecular and human interaction levels. The integration of networks has enabled complete overviews of biological systems to be built. The networking and collaborations between multidisciplinary groups of scientists have also been an important enabler for the practice of systems biology. Asian Regional Conference on Systems Biology (ARCSB) is organised by Institute of Systems Biology (INBIOSIS), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia. This biannual event will gather local and international researchers who are involved in systems biology and allow them to discuss the latest developments in their research.
- 15 Feb. - 1st call for papers and poster abstracts
- 1 Mar. - Early bird registration begins, Submissions open at EasyChair
- 15 Mar. - 2nd call for papers and poster abstracts
- 15 April - Deadline for oral abstract presentation (selected oral abstracts will be considered for full paper submission to BMC Systems Biology)
- 31 May - Deadline for full paper submission
- 31 July - Deadline for poster abstract submission, Deadline for early bird registration
- 15 Sep. - Deadline for conference registration
- 8 - 9 Oct. - ARCSB2013
Assoc. Prof. Luciana Ilao Appointed Associate Dean for Planning and Development, Asst. Prof. Geoffrey Solano Appointed MSP Convenor and IT Office Head
Two members of the Department were appointed members of the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) management team of the new dean, Dean Alex Gonzaga.
Associate Professor Luciana V. Ilao, associate professor of chemistry, has been appointed as associate dean for planning and development. She also served in the same position during the term of Dean Marilou Nicolas (2001-2006), current assistant vice president for academic affairs. Her research expertise is in biosensors and enviornmental chemistry. She is also a former president of the Philippine Association of Chemistry Teachers (PACT).
Assistant Professor Geoffey A. Solano, assistant professor of computer science, has been appointed as convenor of the Manila Studies Program (MSP) and concurrently as head of the Information Technology (IT) Office. He has research expertise on algorithms, combinatorial networks and neural networks. He has been serving as head of the IT office since the term of Dean Marilou Nicolas and to the term of Dean Reynaldo Imperial (2005 - present).
The International Year of Statistics ("Statistics2013") is a worldwide celebration and recognition of the contributions of statistical science. Through the combined energies of organizations worldwide, Statistics2013 will promote the importance of Statistics to the broader scientific community, business and government data users, the media, policy makers, employers, students, and the general public.
The goals of Statistics2013 include:
- increasing public awareness of the power and impact of Statistics on all aspects of society;
- nurturing Statistics as a profession, especially among young people; and
- promoting creativity and development in the sciences of Probability and Statistics
The Department proudly supports Statistics 2013, its importance and contributions.
You can visit the Statistics 2013 site at www.statistics2013.org.