- 30 Mar. (Sat.)
- 8:00am - 5:00pm Sportsfest (SSWC)
- 1 April (Mon.)
- 8:00am - 9:00am Holy Mass (UP PGH Chapel)
- 9:00am - 12:00pm Opening Program (UP Manila Theater)
- 1:00pm - 2:00pm GData Big Data Talk: (UP Manila Theater)
The Shadow in the Mist: Breaking Through Misconception of Big Data
- 1:00pm - 7:00pm DigiPelikula Sa Manila
- 2 April (Tue.)
- 7:00am - 7:00pm DigiPelikula Sa Manila
Dr. Junie B. Billones, professor of chemistry, has been awarded the rank of UP Scientist III, in a ceremony held last 21 March 2018 at the Bahay ng Alumni in UP Diliman. UP Scientist III is the highest award in the UP Scientific Productivity System. Prof. Billones is recognized for his research and numerous publications in computer-aided drug discovery and development. He is also the head of the TB Drug Discovery Research Lab of the Department.
Professor Edanjarlo J. Marquez of the Physics and Geology Unit formally took his oath as Chair of the Division of Earth and Space Sciences of the National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP) before Sec. Fortunato dela Peña of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST). The ceremeny was held at the NRCP Building in the DOST Compound in Taguig City. Prof. Marquez was elected as chair during the 84th General Membership Assembly and Annual Scientific Conference of the NRCP held last 22 March 2017 at the Reception Hall of the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC).
Assoc. Prof. Maria Constancia O. Carrillo, associate professor of biochemistry, is the new Associate Dean for Academic Affairs of the College of Arts and Sciences. She succeeds Prof. Laurie Ramiro.
The National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) awards Prof. Junie Billones with the Eduardo A. Quisumbing Medal for 2016 Outstanding Research and Development Award for Basic Research. This is in recognition of his research computer-aided discovery of leads against druggable targets in mycobacterium tuberculosis. His research program attempts to discover a quicker and cost-effective way to treat tuberculosis which is highly prevalent in the Philippines.
PACSIKLaban is an Annual Intercollegiate Chemistry Competition organized by the Philippine Association of Chemistry Students, Incorporated, (PACS Inc.). This year, participating schools included UST, PUP, De la Salle University, Adamson University, PLM and Ateneo De Manila, among others. Adamson University hosted this year’s event held last February 21, 2016 at the Adamson University campus in Manila.
3 DPSM faculty members presented their research works during the 3rd OVPAA Symposium held at the Institute of Environmental Science and Meteorology (IESM) Auditorium in UP Diliman during 1 - 2 Mar. 2016.
The 3 research presentations are:
- Theoretical Study of the Structure and Electronic Absorption Spectra of Ruthenium Complexes and their Intercalation in DNA by Prof. Junie Billones, Department of Physical Sciences and Mathematics.
- Development of Laboratory Manuals for Biochemistry of the Gene (Biochem 121.1) and Physical Biochemistry (Biochem 124.1) by Assoc Prof. Maria Constancia Carillo, Department of Physical Sciences and Mathematics
- A Comparison of Plasma Zinc Concentrates of Glucos-6-phosphate Dehydrogenase (G6PD)-deficient Filipino Neonates seen at NIH-UPM and Normal Controls by Prof. Marilou Nicolas, Department of Physical Sciences and Mathematics
WCTP 2015 (Workshop on Computation: Theory and Practice 2015) has accepted one research paper from the BS Computer Science Special Problem (SP) for presentation. WCTP 2015 is the fourth workshop organized by the Tokyo Institute of Technology, the Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research - Osaka University, University of the Philippines Diliman and De La Salle University Manila that is devoted to theoretical and practical approaches to computation. It aims to present the latest developments by theoreticians and practitioners in academe and industry working to address computational problems that can impact the way we live in society. The accepted paper is:
- Securing Health Information System with CryptDB by Nicole Anne Lopez and Richard Bryann Chua